Skip to main content

Fire damages rehab center

January 27, 2014

PAWTUCKET — A blaze sparked by a carelessly discarded cigarette caused damage to a porch and some walls at a residential substance abuse treatment center on Summit Street Saturday afternoon.

The fire was reported at the Robert J. Wilson House at 80 Summit Street at around 1:11 p.m. Fire Capt. Robert Thurber, the city’s fire marshal, said that someone dropped a lit cigarette on an exterior porch and the porch floor caught fire and spread up and into a first floor wall. He said the cause was considered accidental.

Thurber said that “fire stops” inside the walls prevented the blaze from spreading further upwards, but firefighters still had to pull part of a first floor interior and exterior wall apart to fully extinguish the fire.

Thurber said there were about 15 tenants plus some staff members who had to be temporarily evacuated. However, he said maintenance crews arrived on the scene quickly and repaired the damaged wall, so the tenants and staff were allowed to return to the house later that afternoon.

No injuries were reported.


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes