Skip to main content

Family displaced by fire

July 9, 2013

PAWTUCKET—A family of three living at 208 Oakland Ave. was displaced by a fire that started in their “computer room” on Monday night, according to the Pawtucket Fire Marshal.
Capt. Robert Thurber said firefighters were called at around 9:37 p.m. for a blaze in the two-story, single-family house. He said the homeowner, Daniel Nunes, told firefighters that he had been working on a computer in the upstairs room until round 7:30 p.m., and then had gone downstairs to make something to eat. He said that at some later point, he saw the upstairs lights go off and he smelled a strange odor. When he went upstairs to check, he said he saw that the computer room was filled with smoke and flames.
Nunes, his wife, and his adult son were home at the time but managed to escape safely. Nunes was overcome with smoke, but was given oxygen by rescue personnel at the scene, Thurber said.
Thurber said the fire caused heavy damage to the second floor of the house and there was smoke and water damage throughout the first floor and in the cellar. He said the cause was determined to be electrical.
Thurber said the home is uninhabitable until it is repaired and the family had to find alternative lodging.

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes